Saturday, July 08, 2006

The Princess Bride

As a true Southern Woman, my favorite movie of all time is Gone With The Wind. I think my G.R.I.T.S. card (Girls Raised In The South) would be revoked if I named any other movie. LOL!

But running a very, very close second is The Princess Bride.

What's not to love? Even the tag lines are great:

Heroes. Giants. Villains. Wizards. True Love. - Not just your basic, average, everyday, ordinary, run-of-the-mill, ho-hum fairy tale.

She gets kidnapped. He gets killed. But it all ends up okay

Scaling the Cliffs of Insanity, Battling Rodents of Unusual Size, Facing torture in the Pit of Despair. - True love has never been a snap.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

A group of friends and I have an "I Love The Princess Bride" posse, and every few months, someone will start a quote-a-thon. It starts innocently enough with a simple "INCONCEIVABLE!" or perhaps a "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

And then we're off like a heard of turtles. We just quote and quote, back and forth, all the best lines until we can't think of any more. But the movie is filled with so many great lines, it goes on and on for quite a while.

Here are some of my favorites, by catogory:

True Love:
As You Wish

Westley: Hear this now: I will always come for you.
Buttercup: But how can you be sure?
Westley: This is true love - you think this happens every day?

Westley: I told you I would always come for you. Why didn't you wait for me?
Buttercup: Well... you were dead.
Westley: Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while.
Buttercup: I will never doubt again.
Westley: There will never be a need.

You can't hurt me. Westley and I are joined by the bonds of love. And you cannot track that, not with a thousand bloodhounds, and you cannot break it, not with a thousand swords.

Classics That Only the True Fans Get:
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

I've hired you to help me start a war. It's an prestigious line of work, with a long and glorious tradition.

Probably some local fisherman, out for a pleasure cruise, at night... in... eel-infested waters...

INCONCEIVABLE!!

Vizzini: HE DIDN'T FALL? INCONCEIVABLE.
Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Inigo Montoya: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you.
Westley: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.

I'm not a witch, I'm your wife. And after what you just said, I'm not even sure I want to be that any more.

Have fun stormin' da castle.

Sonny, true love is the greatest thing, in the world-except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomato is ripe

The Impressive Clergyman: Mawage. Mawage is wot bwings us togeder tooday. Mawage, that bwessed awangment, that dweam wifin a dweam...
The Impressive Clergyman: And wuv, tru wuv, will fowow you foweva...
The Impressive Clergyman: So tweasure your wuv.

You're trying to kidnap what I've rightfully stolen.

I do not envy you the headache you will have when you awake. But for now, rest well and dream of large women.

My brains, his steel, and your strength against sixty men, and you think a little head jiggle is supposed to make me happy?

Humperdinck! Humperdinck! Humperdinck!

Fezzik (Andre the Giant) Make Me Laugh:
I want you to feel you're doing well. I hate for people to die unhappy.

Inigo Montoya: You know Fezzik, you finally did something right.
Fezzik: Don't worry, I won't let it go to my head.

Vizzini: Finish him. Finish him, your way.
Fezzik: Oh good, my way. Thank you Vizzini... which one's my way?
Vizzini: Pick up one of those rocks, get behind a boulder, in a few minutes the man in black will come running around the bend, the minute his head is in view, hit it with the rock.
Fezzik: My way's not very sportsman-like.

Just Stinking Funny:
There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world. It would be a pity to damage yours.

You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

I just work for Vizzini to pay the bills. There's not a lot of money in revenge.

I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder and Guilder to frame for it; I'm swamped.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!

You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

She is alive, or was an hour ago. If she is otherwise when I find her I shall be very put out.

Inigo Montoya: I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
Man in Black: No good. I've known too many Spaniards.

1 Comments:

At 7:59 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

Indeed! One of my favorite movies of all time as well.

" Drop Your Sword!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home