Tuesday, August 08, 2006

My Creative Space

When Dave and I moved into this three bedroom house, we considered whether we needed to turn one of the other bedrooms into a guest room. After thinking about it for a short while, we decided it would be a complete waste to have a bedroom reserved for the (maybe) three or four days a year when someone might need to stay over.

So we have our master bedroom, and each of us has a room to do with what we wanted. Dave turned his into an office with all his Marine Corp memorabilia and his awards and plaques on the wall.

I surprisingly enough, turned mine into the most kick ass scrapbook room ever conceived. I seriously love my room!!

Being married to a woodworking and construction HE-MAN is definitely was cool when you are designing a custom space:
Photobucket - Video and Image HostingDave designed and built this desk for my room. The picture is a little old, taken right after he installed it. Notice how it has the indention where I sit so I can have 180 degrees of work space around me. My computer, printer, and scanner are on the right, and clear work space is on the left.
Notice the green plaid corkboard. Dave made that too, he had me find a material that I liked and then he cut and covered squares of cork to make a cool pin up board!
Also notice the pictures on the right wall. Those are my autographed "Charmed" pictures. Dave got those for me in 2004 because he knew that not only was that my favorite show, but that Paige was my favorite character.

Here's something else Dave made for me:
Photobucket - Video and Image HostingA pegboard so that all my most commonly used tools would be at my fingertips and a stamp pad holder. He actually made the stamp pad holder out of scraps of expensive cherry and mahogany wood that he was using making a retirement shadow box gift for his Commanding Officer.

Last December, while we were on vacation, I saw a simple design for storing acrylic paint bottles and asked Dave if he could make one for me. When we got home, he looked at it and turned it out in just a few short hours. However, he decided it was cheesy and not worthy of being hung in my room. Instead he created this:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
It not only stores my paint, but the top of it is a shelf where I can put miscellaneous stamps, inks, UTEE, my rubber ducky and rubber froggy who talk to me when I need inspiration.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The next step in Dave, the King of all things Wood, was a bookshelf and workspace:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I use the top part as a work space to spread out on and do messy stuff like using acrylic paint, getting goopy with modgepodge, and walnut inks. Underneath are all my albums, scrapbook idea books, Stampin Up stamp sets, and my foam stamps. Of course it also holds very important things like my Happy Bunny slippers and my Dallas Cowboys Superbowl memorial.

Now I wouldn't want you to think that everything in my scrapbook room was designed by Dave. I came up with this uber-cool way to store all my favorite ribbon:
Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Yes, those are tequila bottles...Patron Silver to be exact, and no I didn't drink all that. Remember, I am a bartender. But if anyone was to come into my house right now and see how many empty Patron bottles I have, they might be curious.

All my paper storage is in this wire paper holder that I bought on-line. Dave offered to build something to replace it, but it's neat and functional and works, so I declined this one.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Other things in my room that I love:
Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

So much, so much, what else could you possibly need? Well, we're actually not done. I did not take pictures or show you one area of my space, which I'm not happy with. Dave has promised that when he gets back, he is going to build me some drawer units to replace these mismatched, ugly, clear plastic drawer units that are currently holding miscellaneous tools and supplies. After that is done, then my room will be complete!

All Hail Big Daddy Dave, The Master and Commander of the Woodworking Universe!!

5 Comments:

At 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so right...he is a Master Builder!! That is an awesome room. Love your paint holders. You're so organized. I especially LOVE the picture of the poster about children :) Too funny!!
Thnaks.

Sue

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

You're totally right, that's a kickin' room girl!!!!!! You have to have us all over sometime!!!!

 
At 3:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh...I am jealous!! I love the paint holder, the paper racks, and most of all the Tequila bottles. Hmmm...how can I get my hands on a bunch of those, haha?? That is a lot of tequila to have to drink, heehee!!

 
At 5:11 AM, Blogger Vee said...

u have an awesome space!

 
At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy Smokes, Wendy!! You have a really great space there!! AWESOME! I love the paint holder and those bottles. Hmmmmmm, gonna have to find my way to you to pick some up. hee hee
~Sonda

 

Post a Comment

<< Home