Tuesday, May 23, 2006

I Was In Baby Hell

I'm child free by choice. Babies are not my thing, at all. They smell, they drool, they're expensive...the list goes on.

So I'm in line at the bank today. The very long line. The very long line that hasn't moved in 10 minutes.

There was a young woman in line in front of me with a baby around 9 or 10 months old. She was bouncing it around and talking to it really loud.

"OOOH look at how cute you are, you're drooling all over Mommy!"

:::she looks around to see who is paying attention to her:::

"OOPS you dropped your toy!"

The guy in front of her bends down and picks it up for her and she starts talking to him about her baby and how old it is and all sorts of stuff he isn't interested in. Finally he turns his back on her. It still takes her another minute to stop talking to him.

So she goes back to talking loudly to the baby.

Yes lady, we all get it. You have a baby. While I am sure that you love your baby very much and it's very special to you, here's a news flash: the rest of the world doesn't give a damn about the hairless, drool machine.

Then another young mother got in line behind me. Not to be outdone, she starts up. It was like an episode of Who Can Get More People To Look At Her Baby.

I was seriously in hell!

Here's my Top 10 List of Reasons Why I Will Never Have a Child:
  1. They are expensive. Diapers, clothes, food, school shoes...the list goes on and on. When Dave retires from the Marine Corp, we are retiring for good. We couldn't have done that if we were raising kids.
  2. A car seat would not fit in the Mustang, the Vette, or on the Harley.
  3. No way in hell am I getting pregnant. I don't understand why people think pregnant women are beautiful. Glowing? I think they look bloated and obscene. Why would I voluntarily go through something that entails hemorrhoids, vomiting, and stretch marks?
  4. I am the Center of the Universe. If you have a baby, you have to put their needs before your own and I'm not down with that.
  5. When you have kids, you can't just drop everything and drive to Vegas at 10pm at night because you feel like it. Or run off to the beach. Or even go to the movies without finding a babysitter.
  6. When you have kids, you can't lay around your living room naked and have sex on the couch, or the kitchen floor, or in the garage, or....well you get the picture.
  7. The cat would hate it.
  8. I like sleeping too much. I hear that becomes an issue when you have a baby.
  9. I don't do bodily functions. I could never be a nurse or a vet. I don't do vomit, poop, pee, or snot. GROSS!
  10. I forget to feed the cat. No way should I be given a baby. I'm not that responsible.

6 Comments:

At 5:18 PM, Blogger tracey said...

#7 The cat would hate it.

best reason ever! i love it!

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Sue said...

As much as I love reading your comments on the board amd scanning your blog, I have to wince at this one cause my daughter and her husband of 4 years just separated because he has decided that he never wants children and since she does he doesn't want to be with her. It is a sad state of affairs right now, buit as certain as you are that you don't...my daughter does.

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Wendylicious said...

Yes, I was very lucky to have found someone who shares my views on this subject.
Neither of us ever had the urge to do it, but right after our second anniversary we decided to take care of the issue permanently. It took us another three years to find a doctor that understood our resolve enough to perform the vasectomy.

 
At 2:54 AM, Blogger lovemyspy said...

You are funny! :)

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Sonia said...

I totally respect your right to be childfree by choice.

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

If you EVER tell me I look bloated while I am pregnant, we will no longer be friends and I will cut you off my Christmas Card list.

No really. You BEST tell me I am glowing.

;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home